This three-day instructor-led course is aimed at database professionals who manage Business Intelligence (BI) operations. This course looks at various options that provide the ability of business users to analyze data and share their findings, starting with managed BI data sources and expanding to personal and external/public data sources.
Lesson objectives help students become comfortable with the course, and also provide a means to evaluate learning. Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
· Describe key features of a self-service BI solution
· Describe the key capabilities of SQL Server BI in a SharePoint environment
· Describe common Analysis Services operational tasks
· Describe PowerPivot for SharePoint server
· Describe Power Query
· Describe Windows Azure HDInsight
To ensure successful completion of this course, we recommend the following:
· Some basic knowledge of data warehouse schema topology (including star and snowflake schemas)
· Some exposure to basic programming constructs (such as looping and branching)
· An awareness of key business priorities such as revenue, profitability, and financial accounting is desirable.
· Familiarity with SharePoint Server and Microsoft Office applications – particularly Excel
Module 1: Introduction to Microsoft SQL Server BI Solution This module introduces key features of a self-service BI solution.
· Overview of self-service BI
· Considerations of self-service BI
· Microsoft tools for self-service BI
· Lab : Exploring an enterprise BI solution
Module 2: SQL Server BI Features with Microsoft SharePoint
· This module describes the key capabilities of SQL Server BI in a SharePoint environment.
· Capabilities of Power BI with SharePoint
· SharePoint with analysis services
· SharePoint with reporting services
· Deploying SQL server BI in a SharePoint environment
· Lab : Design a SQL Server BI infrastructure
Module 3: Operating Analysis Services
· This module describes common analysis services operational tasks.
· Configuring an analysis services server
· Tuning an analysis services server
· Analysis services security
· Analysis services high availability and disaster recovery
· Lab : Configuring analysis services
Module 4: Supporting Analysis Services
· This module introduces PowerPivot for SharePoint servers
· Testing analysis services cubes
· Tuning analysis services
· Maintaining analysis services
· Lab : Supporting Analysis Services
Module 5: Operate and Support Reporting services
· This module introduces users to Power Query. They will use this more in subsequent modules.
· Installing a native mode report server
· Installing reporting services with SharePoint
· Reporting services with Microsoft Azure virtual machines
· Reporting services errors
· Lab : Installing reporting services
Module 6: Share PowerPivot Workbooks in SharePoint Server
· This module introduces PowerPivot for SharePoint.
· PowerPivot for SharePoint
· Install and configure PowerPivot for SharePoint
· Lab : Install PowerPivot for SharePoint
Module 7: Operate and Support Power BI
· This module introduces Windows Azure HDInsight.
· Power BI desktop
· Mobile Power BI
· Lab : Using Power BI