This three-day instructor-led course is aimed at database professionals who fulfil a Business Intelligence (BI) developer role. This course looks at implementing multidimensional databases by using SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), and at creating tabular semantic data models for analysis with SSAS.
Lesson objectives help students become comfortable with the course, and also provide a means to evaluate learning. Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
· Describe the components, architecture, and nature of a BI solution
· Create a multidimensional database with analysis services
· Implement dimensions in a cube
· Implement measures and measure groups in a cube
· Use MDX syntax
· Customize a cube
· Implement a tabular database
· Use DAX to query a tabular model
· Use data mining for predictive analysis
To ensure successful completion of this course, we recommend the following:
· Basic knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating system and its core functionality.
· Working knowledge of Transact-SQL.
· Working knowledge of relational databases.
Module 1: Introduction to Business Intelligence and Data Modeling
· This module introduces key BI concepts and the Microsoft BI product suite.
· Introduction to Business Intelligence
· The Microsoft business intelligence platform
· Lab : Exploring a Data Warehouse
Module 2: Creating Multidimensional Databases
· This module describes the steps required to create a multidimensional database with analysis services.
· Introduction to multidimensional analysis
· Creating data sources and data source views
· Creating a cube
· Overview of cube security
· Lab : Creating a multidimensional database
Module 3: Working with Cubes and Dimensions
· This module describes how to implement dimensions in a cube.
· Configuring dimensions
· Define attribute hierarchies
· Sorting and grouping attributes
· Lab : Working with Cubes and Dimensions
Module 4: Working with Measures and Measure Groups
· This module describes how to implement measures and measure groups in a cube.
· Working with measures
· Working with measure groups
· Lab : Configuring Measures and Measure Groups
Module 5: Introduction to MDX
· This module describes the MDX syntax and how to use MDX.
· MDX fundamentals
· Adding calculations to a cube
· Using MDX to query a cube
· Lab : Using MDX
Module 6: Customizing Cube Functionality
· This module describes how to customize a cube.
· Implementing key performance indicators
· Implementing actions
· Implementing perspectives
· Implementing translations
· Lab : Customizing a Cube
Module 7: Implementing a Tabular Data Model by Using Analysis Services
· This module describes how to implement a tabular data model in PowerPivot.
· Introduction to tabular data models
· Creating a tabular data model
· Using an analysis services tabular model in an enterprise BI solution
· Lab : Working with an Analysis services tabular data model
Module 8: Introduction to Data Analysis Expression (DAX)
· This module describes how to use DAX to create measures and calculated columns in a tabular data model.
· DAX fundamentals
· Using DAX to create calculated columns and measures in a tabular data model
· Lab : Creating Calculated Columns and Measures by using DAX
Module 9: Performing Predictive Analysis with Data Mining
· This module describes how to use data mining for predictive analysis.
· Overview of data mining
· Using the data mining add-in for Excel
· Creating a custom data mining solution
· Validating a data mining model
· Connecting to and consuming a data mining model
· Lab : Perform Predictive Analysis with Data Mining